Tuesday, August 26, 2008

School

First of all...still no pictures. I haven't gotten my laptop back from HP yet. Sorry!

We have been very busy with school all day and football practice at night. The boys are adjusting slowly. Dylan is actually loving middle school. He says his school, teachers and locker are awesome! Devin isn't quite as excited...although he loves his teachers. He still misses his friends terribly and he just can't move on. He did come home very excited today because he has a new friend named Sam.

School here is very different. Like anything else, there are pros and cons. I know my Skyline friends are anxious to hear how it is and one of these days I'll give you the complete low down!

Here are a few differences though...we have 20 minutes of recess everyday! The entire grade level has a block of time and you must bring your class outside. There are 3 playgrounds, a basketball court, mini kickball field and other activities. Students who have not been following directions that day have to walk LAPS which stands for Learning about Procedures. I don't see that this is going to happen too often because these kids are very well behaved. The school wide discipline is so strong and consistent and the kids are so well supervised that they really have almost no opportunity to misbehave. Also, there is a procedure in place for everything! They run a very tight ship and I think once I get used to it, I will enjoy it more. Right now it is tiring to learn everything new! I'm getting the hang of it though. I'm figuring out my smartboard too. Some really annoying things...there are NO phones in the classrooms! Emailing during the day is a big NO NO! I have to eat lunch in the cafeteria! Actually that last one isn't turning out to be as bad as I anticipated. There are round tables and the teachers sit at their own table. You'd be surprised how much more mellow the cafeteria is! I'm telling you these kids are well behaved. No hallway tantrums that end in a child having to be restrained and dragged to the front office. There is no school resource officer! Spinnler...your job would be cake here. Oh, one more thing. The school is spotless. The custodians clean all day long. They even sneak in your classroom and empty the trash during the school day. They are in the cafeteria at lunch sweeping and cleaning!

As nice as that is though...it still doesn't make up for the fact that I have no phone in my room.

Better run for now. Again...sorry about the lack of pictures.

No comments: