Friday, April 13, 2007

Idiots say the darndest things

People say some really odd things. Usually I just smile and walk away because I don't want to get into a debate with people in front of my children. For example, one guy said to me that people in China climb mountains and leave their baby girls at the top to freeze to death. I said that wasn't true and that Chinese people usually put the babies somewhere safe, yada yada yada. He said I was wrong and that he is a high school teacher and he teaches about it every year (OH GOSH) and he has a "real old Chinese guy" come in and tell the kids about it. I started to say that maybe it was different in the past but I was just there and I know a little about it. He insisted I was wrong so I just walked away.

This is just one of many comments...a family favorite remains "Does she speak Chinese?" and "How will you communicate with her?" . Look, I'm not faulting people for not understanding the process, history, etc. What irritates me is when people insist they know everything about a topic and feel the need to gush about it at a family BBQ (like the above mentioned high school teacher). Another guy at the same party said, "I'm really ignorant about this subject so I hope I don't make a fool of myself, but could I ask you some questions?" I have much more respect for THAT guy!


People made some strange (aka rude) comments to mom and I about Maia while at Wannado City. One lady asked me if I knew that all the orphans in Chinese orphanages sleep in one big bed. I just looked at her and said "I saw a picture of her crib and it looked like the standard size". An older lady was watching Maia play and said to my mom, "She's beautiful...you know, some of them look "too Chinese", but not her." Mom said nothing, and just took Maia away. Later on we were thinking of some comebacks like..."Yeah, we were very surprised at how Chinese she looked, considering we adopted from Africa!"


Sleeping Beauty...looking mighty Chinese in this picture.


Anyone who meets Maia after seeing her pictures says the pictures don't do her justice. I don't know how to fix that! Maybe I'm not a good photographer or I have a crappy camera. Either way, here's one that I think is nice. You can almost make out her dimples!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great. The girlie looks Chinese. And she is gorgeous and fun.

Anonymous said...

How strange-people say Lexie looks Chinese too-weird--HA!! I had a teacher A TEACHER ask me the other day if Lexie was speaking English yet(she has seen her and knew how old she is), I said she is saying words and she said, yeah but is it Chinese or English? I wanted to say, no she speaks fluent Dutch, but I stopped myself. She is only 1!! Goodness-people just are not very bright huh?
Anyway, Maia gets more beautiful every time I see her. I can't wait to see her in person again!! Tell her hi from Lexie!

RamblingMother said...

Well Gosh for an African she sure does look Chinese to me. What rude jerks.

I know how you feel for the need to have comebacks quicker. I have all the answers to the retarded questions when I am lying in bed at midnight review the day.

I like the African comeback and may use it myself. I have gotten the "Will she speak Chinese when she grows up?" I just say, "I hope so since we will start Chinese kindergarten when she is old enough."

Beverly & Glenys, my Wuzhou wonder

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures - Maia looks so very cute - wish we could play! The boys look great - must have been a fun excursion. Enjoyed seeing Joan's picture with Maia - Joan, good picture - it's a keeper. Keep the pictures coming - so fun to see you all at play - we miss you all. xox Gail

French Marianne said...

Maia is a real treasure. What a beauty, really. Kindest regards from Marianne, mum to French XU cousin Ninon